Digital asset management software is a complex and multipurpose file storage which can be a convenient solution both for corporate giants and local single-office businesses.
In this article you will read:
What is Essentially Digital Asset Management (DAM) in Simple Words?
Overall, it is a huge a cloud-based archive that helps effectively:
- and otherwise manage your working data.
Such materials as pictures, audio, presentations, video, and other types of files can be centralized into one technology for a convenient use.
What is the Difference Between a File Storage and a DAM?
First, think of Dropbox as a digital version of a shelf. Files and folders are all placed within it and shared with other people. However, this works well for some basic functions, it also might inevitably turn into a messy place once you cram a lot of stuff in it.
On the other hand, DAM is the same digital shelf, which has been significantly improved. It is the whole filing cabinet along with the working team that labels, ranks, and finds files. What is more, anyone from your company might use those files for different purposes simultaneously. Not only may it store secret personal data from others, but also provide unlimited access to invaluable brand assets. A cloud-based yet organized Hermione’s beaded bag, isn’t it?
It might be explicitly shown while managing team processes. Every single task stands for a directory, which contains a pile of various folders you can hardly recognize. Chances are, the file titles are somewhat similar with 126943.JPG, which is, ahem, frustrating.
This means you need to take the time and open all of them, one by one. On top of that, assets might be in non-standard formats, so you again spare more time on installing the required software to simply review them. Experiencing this for a while, you might eager to streamline your work processes. At this point, digital asset management software is definitely worth trying.
What Does a DAM System Do?
Apart from the basic functionality which even a usual file storage carries out, a digital asset management system also:
- Uploads and stores not only small documents (e.g. MS Word files), but also larger types, such as 3D, InDesign files, and many more large extensions.
- DAM instantly converts files to any size, quality or format you need.
- Manages files, for example, gives an option to separate whole sections. It helps keep asset collections apart and gives groups of users privacy from others.
- Effectively searches files by metadata. This, in turn, lets you find the required unit using the keywords like a “little black dress”.
- Provides secure storage and quickly watermarks your brand files.
- Shares files creating a direct third-party URL instead of sending it through email or social media.
Who Needs a DAM?
Most probably, those who feel they have grown out of well-known digital file-sharing systems, like Dropbox, Google Drive, SharePoint, or OneDrive. These storages are quite suitable for simple file exchange. Though, If you want to be more efficient and up-to-date in running a growing company, we encourage you to have a look at a DAM system.
Overall, be it higher education institutes, retail, e-commerce or manufacturing organizations, various agencies, franchises or even local governments — all of the entities can effectively utilize an agile DAM storage tool.
Also, working in creative spheres, you can unleash the true DAM’s potential. So, it perfectly suits designers, marketers, sales managers, content creators and pretty much everyone who wants to boost a business’s potential.
This is what might hint you that having a DAM is a pretty good idea:
- Company’s assets are like everywhere: on various servers, individual notebooks or hard drives.
- You usually have difficulties with looking for what you really need.
- An organization often purchased already-owned assets, because it is challenging to track them.
- Your colleagues and you often redo the same work, since it is easier than find an old version.
- There are constraints in sharing files with customers’ devices.
- Email size restrictions complicate the process of sharing files within your company.
- One can easily confuse the last updated version with numerous previous ones.
Types of Digital Asset Management Software
There is a number of DAM types aimed to satisfy different needs for file management, and here we list the most popular ones. They are pretty much alike, but still, contain some essential differences to consider.
1. Brand asset management
The main idea of this kind of a solution is to maintain order with the aim to boost the brand value of a company.
It’s easy to confuse a DAM and a BAM. Brand asset management, however, goes further than a generic DAM. First of all, it was designed to facilitate brand-connected processes within an enterprise. This is especially useful if you manage a growing business and its constantly rising number of branding files.
2. Library asset management
It is an easily-searchable storage area for images, videos, and other standard types of documents. And it also focuses on easy storing and extracting the required information.
3. Production asset management
Unlike Library asset management system (LAM), production digital asset management (PAM) software is more related to an online production of visual effects in terms of the gaming industry, TV, or films. When it comes to developing an online game, 3D/4D animated effects — PAM comes in handy like no other.
4. Digital supply chain software
Some digital asset management systems were deliberately built for a digital supply chain. They account for the technologies which help optimize internal processes. The main functions are to monitor and report a company’s evolution and activity as it goes through digital supply.
Cloud Digital Asset Management
A cloud digital asset management stores data on remote online servers and can be available through a web browser whenever you have to use it.
To enrich the explanation, let’s imagine a cutting-edge super-secure hub that stores an infinite deal of important stuff, gives access to everyone in your company and helps to manage processes in your organization simultaneously? Even Hermione Granger would get jealous of such a go-to tool.
Benefits of DAM Software
Overall, once you learn what is a digital asset management, there is a way to discover how to benefit from this highly productive tool. Here are some of the advantages as follows:
- Work faster. DAM intuitively lets you publish content quicker, improve conversions, and team up with CMS and PIM.
- Less searching and more doing. A convenient interface has AI-powered search and comprises of tags, filters, and attributes.
- Stay consistent. Resize, crop, extract, edit, embed and share media or metadata on the fly with other stakeholders.
- Evolve the value of the enterprise’s assets. Track and analyze brand value by accessing essential metrics.
- More effective communication. From now on, there is no need to waste your time searching important files and sending them to your customers in the eleventh hour.
There are the whole kit and kaboodle of different digital asset management solutions on the market. It might happen, however, that the offered ready-made options are not exactly what you have been looking for.
Especially if you run a major brand or relate to big data turnaround, you may need a set of slightly different functions. When looking for a new software, you might tempt to adapt to the existing software’s capabilities, which does not make any sense. In such a case, it is better to glance in the direction of a custom budget-friendly DAM platform, which may be specifically elaborated up to your needs.
Considering all the mentioned above, your experience with digital asset management solutions may be DAM good.
How to Get a Custom-Made DAM System?
A custom-made DAM software may be a really good and time-saving solution for your business, but another important question lies in its development.
At Ezetech, we can create a unique product specifically for you. Want to include reports, specific access controls, unique file formats, or sizes? Need either a set of basic functions or more narrowly-focused DAM for heavy workloads? It is almost there! Just contact us and describe your demands on what you expect to have, and we will be glad to consider and address the most demanding specialties accordingly.
With Ezetech, your DAM system will be one-of-a-kind like a well-fitted suit. Does it sound like a plan to you? If so, feel free to book a free tech consultation and we will be glad to discuss your case in detail.
And don’t forget to click the ❤ below if you liked the article.